Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Almost completely done with all the paperwork that I need to send in...and to make sure I'll be able to leave. I got the welcome packet from NCCC a couple days ago, which tells me I have to fill out a travel form, healthcare information, and all that jazz.  I haven't read through all the way, but here's some stuff I found interesting that stuck out:
  • On the travel sheet I just mailed, I chose to get to Iowa by plane. I've never been on a plane before. This is kind of a big deal for me, since I used to be terrified by the thought of being on a plane when I was younger. Right now I'm completely fine about it, so perhaps I just grew the hell up.
  • I could test to be a wildlife firefighter if I so choose.
  • Apparently I'll being doing PT while I'm there (physical training? did I just accidentally sign up for the Army? I would be very, very annoyed at myself if I did.)
  •  Corps members are assigned to one of three units: Cedar, Maple and Oak. Units are comprised of 70-80 Corps members, broken down into seven teams. Personally I think it's cute that they are all named after trees, however if I could choose I would choose Cedar just because I love the smell of cedar chests.
  • I will probably have to get a tetanus shot there, since I can't even remember when I last had one. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a shot. That's probably not good.
  • Projects can very from one day to two months. The average is six weeks.
  • Spikes are projects that are more then one hour away from campus (like when I go to another state). I might not have access to a computer/cell phone reception, depending where I would go...but I can still get snail mail. I'll post up my address when I figure out what team I'm on. Letters would be cool!

That's it so far. I'm sure I'll run into something interesting again soon. Over and out.

4 comments:

  1. I got a tetanus shot two days ago. And I'm willing to bet you got your last one around the same time I did: before 6th grade camp.

    It doesn't really suck. My arm has felt "tight" for the last couple of days. That's really the only crappy thing to report. So it ain't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying isn't so bad if you are A, drunk, B, Tired and can sleep or C have a really good book and or ipod. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad that's the only thing I have to worry about for the shot. That's not too bad.

    Matt, I will incorporate everything you just said. I'm going to drunkenly sleep with my ipod on and a book over my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the tetanus shot is not as bad as people make it out to be. I had one in March and I was surprised at how easy it was.

    ReplyDelete